Thursday, October 20, 2011

baked potato soup

As soon as cool weather makes it's entrance, it is all about soups, stews, and chili. I love the idea of making a big pot of something and it lasts for almost a week. One of my favorite soups has always been baked potato soup. But, when you add in the bacon, cheese...and whatever yummy toppings you like, it can turn into something not so healthy. When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it. A simple base of baked potato and chicken stock, seasoned with salt and pepper, and you can add all the toppings you like:
You can see I like a lot;) But I don't feel quite as guilty since it is not a cream-based soup;)

This is really simple...

All you need is a 5 lb bag of potatoes, a carton (buy the bigger size) of chicken stock, salt+pepper, and whatever topping your like: green onions, bacon, cheese, sour cream, etc.

1. Bake the potatoes...use what ever method you normally use.
2. When they are cool enough to touch, scoop the flesh out of the potato. I usually save 2 or 3 and cut them into bite-size chunks. The rest, add into a blender/food processor with a bit of the chicken stock and blend until smooth. You may have to do a couple batches depending on the size of your appliance.
3. Transfer the puree into a pot and heat over medium high heat. Throw the chunks of potatoes in there and add enough chicken stock until the soup gets to the consistency you desire. When the soup is heated up, season with salt and pepper.
4. Ladle into bowls and top as desired!

Enjoy!!!

Source: Baked Bree

1 comments:

Shel said...

Great photo!!!