Thursday, January 13, 2011

when it's too quiet+smothered buttermilk chicken

You know something is definitely going on. When you are in the bathroom and all of a sudden, the "peep peep" and "choo choo" sounds stop, something is most definitely going on.
 Like pulling tissues out of the box and replacing them with Cheerios. And dumping the entire bowl of cheerios over to make the first statement easier.
 It sure is a good thing he's cute:)
 He got this pool ring from the bath tub and put it on his head, goof ball:)
 What we had for dinner last night:
Smothered Buttermilk Chicken

I am not sure exactly where I got this recipe...I know I got it back when I was on weight watchers but it wasn't one of their recipes. It is one of my favorites to make because it is in the crock pot and it is tasty:)

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (I usually just throw in some baby carrots instead because I pretty much always have those on hand)
1/3 cup chopped onion (I usually don't measure and do 1/2 of a small sweet onion)
1/2 cup water (or chicken stock)
2 tbsp butter
salt and pepper 
1 bay leaf
1 package chicken gravy mix
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 tsp flour
1 cup frozen peas

1. Combine chicken, carrots, onion, water, butter, salt, pepper, and bay leaf in crock pot, mix well.
2. Cover, cook on low 6-8 hours (this only takes 5 in my crock pot). About 20 minutes before serving, do the following:
Remove and discard bay leaf, stir chicken gravy mix into crock pot (I use a wire whisk which helps shred.break up the chicken).
In a small bowl, blend together buttermilk and flour until smooth. Stir flour mixture and peas into chicken. Mix well.
Cover, increase heat to high and cook 20-25 minutes or until peas are cooked.

Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

SnapScrapRepeat said...

You always know when it's TOO quiet; there's bound to be an apple in the toilet, marker on the wall, and food between the cushions on the couch. I once carved my name into my Mom's coffee table (it now belongs to me...to refinish!)

Shel said...

Your life = My life. I just got down picking up all of the baby wipes from the floor and taking the hot wheels cars out of the empty tub of wipes. Sigh. On a better note, that smothered chicken recipe looks so yummy. I will definitely try that soon!